- Before the fair, check which agencies will attend. Then, troll through the websites of your target agencies so that you will be able to pepper each meet-and-greet conversation with evidence of your knowledge of the agency’s goals and high-profile activities.
- Practice introducing yourself with a 30-second, punchy opener that highlights your key qualifications and how they would benefit your target agency.
- Present yourself as a decisive, goal-oriented job seeker who knows what type of job you want.
- Prepare yourself for an on-the-spot job interview.
- Pack the following items in a professional briefcase: your ID, pens, pad, resumes, college transcripts, reference lists, & business cards.
- Dress as nicely as you would for a job interview. No eating, gum chewing, or sucking out of a water bottle in the interviewer’s face.
- Collect the business cards of contacts.
- Immediately send thank-you letters to helpful contacts and follow up on promising leads.
Adapted from: Lily Whiteman, How to Land a Top-Paying Federal Job: Your Complete Guide to Opportunities, Internships, Resumes and Cover Letters, Application Essays (KSAs), Interviews, Salaries, Promotions, and More! (Saranac Lake, NY: AMACOM Books, 2008), 13.